designers departments
whats new capris dresses jackets jeans lingerie trousers shorts skirts sweaters t-shirts tops tops handbags jewelry boots pumps sandals sale
J. LaMore Magazine

Sunday, November 08, 2009

After Work Drinks... What's Normal?

Last night I somehow came across an old Allure mag of mine and read an article about a group of women who go out for drinks 3-5 times a week, including their after work cocktail hour (not that weird, right?) These women are all thin, healthy, and wealthy. The story was about how much these women drank each week. They averaged out to about 25-30 drinks a week, and had the same alcohol tolerance as a 200 lb man. One women said she wouldn't be surprised if she finished 2 bottles of wine by herself in one night. Another women said she could top off a whole bottle of wine by herself just sitting at home, talking on the phone to her friend. She considered this "social" drinking. All the women agreed that drinking came first, and eating wasn't really on their minds. They didn't think to go for a bite to eat after work- they were there for the drinks.

This story was questioning whether these women see themselves as alcoholics or not. When I think of an alcoholic, I think of someone who drinks an excessive amount, and can't stop drinking once they start. You don't usually think of healthy Manhattan professionals as this type. Are these drinking ways normal for professional women? I'm happy to go out for after work cocktails, but I don't usually top of 2 bottles of wine solo. When does going out for after work cocktails become too much? I've always thought that social drinking is completely acceptable, but these women considered talking on the phone to a friend while drinking as social drinking.

What do you think, friends? How many nights a week do you think is acceptable to go out for after work cocktails? In college I probably did average 25 drinks a week! Now that I'm out of college and working I have less time for socializing. I think as I get older and settled into my job that I will be the type to go out for some after work cocktails. How many drinks a week is normal for an average female 25-40 years old? 25-30 drinks seems like a lot... but somehow these women were still healthy and happy. What's the right balance? Hmm!

-Charlotte
Chicago, IL



No comments:

Powered by J. LaMore