designers departments
whats new capris dresses jackets jeans lingerie trousers shorts skirts sweaters t-shirts tops tops handbags jewelry boots pumps sandals sale
J. LaMore Magazine

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Style anatomy of a super hero.

Hey everyone... I'm Terra. I'm a new J. LaMore blogger. I absolutely love style and fashion but I was also raised by the biggest sci-fi fan. And you are about to get a glimpse into my dorkdom.

I really love super hero/super villain stories. I would never call myself a super fan, but I certainly get giggly giddy when I hear about another movie coming out. Yes the action scenes are incredible and I wish I could be the one with the super dazzling powers. But more importantly, I wish I had some of the clothes.

My most favorite of all super hero movies thus far is Watchmen. It's one of the dirtiest, most haunting glimpses into our potential for self-destruction. Fun stuff, yeah? I'm currently reading the graphic novel and it's incredible.

Not only do I love the story the most, I absolutely love the style the most too. Silk Spectre and Silk Spectre II are like pin ups straddling the line between sexy and ridiculous. Imagine kicking major tookus with a pair of four-inch garter heels. I can barely stand on one foot to put my boots on.

So that's Silk Spectre II's uniform for ruining bad guys. But I also really love what she wears when she's just plain old Laurie Jupiter. Watchmen is set in 1985 so you have all of these really fabulous 80s-inspired frocks. I particularly love her gold trench. Of course it's gold. It honestly looks like the sort of material you can hack up and make into the perfect costume for concealing your identity at a moments notice. The trench has a powerful shoulder (how appropriate) to let the bad guys know she shouldn't be messed with. Of course, most don't pay attention to the subtle hints given by a super hero's fashion. Dummies.
















A bit earlier in the scene, she shows off her everyday accessories (not suitable for being jumped in an alley obviously) of black beret and classic "Risky Business" Ray Bans.

And her hair. It's so simple. When she's leaping through fire you'd think it might be a problem but not for Silk Spectre. No siree. She apparently has flame-retardant hair.

Super heroes (and villians... Michelle Pfeiffer I'm looking at you) are always sexy, especially the women. Whether they're pretending to be the "every gal" or they're giving jerks the business, they take the time to look luscious.

I'm taking a few notes from the style book of Silk Spectre. It's not like I'm saving people from a burning building or anything so I guess the idea of putting on something other than night-night pants shouldn't be so daunting.

So there it is! I love this stuff. I promise I won't post exclusively about super heroes! :) Until next time everyone...

xoxo


Terra

Pittsburgh, PA

No comments:

Powered by J. LaMore