designers departments
whats new capris dresses jackets jeans lingerie trousers shorts skirts sweaters t-shirts tops tops handbags jewelry boots pumps sandals sale
J. LaMore Magazine

Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Tournament


I have never really been a great basketball fan, but the tournament is very exciting. It is even more exciting now that I have an eleven year old son, who filled out my brackets for me, and we're in the top five!!! That's my boy!!

Well, one of the best nights of my college career was when Michigan beat Seton Hall twenty years ago. Yes, folks. I was there, and I will never forget it.

First of all, I had to go to Dooley's at two in the afternoon to reserve a table (and still had to wait in line). I promptly put on my headphones, got under a table, and began studying for my accounting exam the next day. This did not last for long. The partying began early.

I now know why it is still one of the ten best championship games ever. Michigan led at the half, 37-32. The score was within one or two points during the entire second half. Rumeal Robinson, typically a poor foul shooter, sank two free throws with three seconds to turn a one-point deficit into an 80-79 victory over Seton Hall. I am getting chills just writing this.

The next thing I know, I was just covered in beer. The procession to South University began. All I remember is being on the shoulders of a very large football player, chanting "Who let the dogs out!!!!" South University was a sight to remember. Just a million people. There was the token fifty-year-old hippy, buck naked on an awning, dancing with the Michigan flag.

I rushed into a dorm to use the restroom. It was like a ghost town. Probably the only person studying that night was my bookworm sister. She's also probably the only one who wasn't hungover or passed her exams with flying colors. Well, like my friend always said:"Lila, will you remember that exam, or will you remember one of the greatest moments of your life?" She was right.

Michigan had the greatest freshman class ever, the Fab Five, headlined by Chris Webber and Jalen Rose, who led Michigan to the title game in 1992 and 1993, but lost to Duke and North Carolina respectively.

After this, we returned to being a football school; well, except for the last few years. Hopefully we'll be back. Oh, and, for the record, I didn't do so well on my accounting exam. It didn't help that I had to get up and throw up every so often. But it was worth it.
Yup. I'm in there somewhere!!

Lila.

No comments:

Powered by J. LaMore