designers departments
whats new capris dresses jackets jeans lingerie trousers shorts skirts sweaters t-shirts tops tops handbags jewelry boots pumps sandals sale
J. LaMore Magazine

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Health Kick

I've been reading about everyone's health and wellness ventures over the past several weeks, and let me say, I'm impressed! From taking up running, to going gluten-free, "good health" seems IN this season! After a gluttonous week in Cabo last month, I too have have turned over a new leaf. Although my boyfriend, our friends, and I all had a great time feasting on chips and guac everyday and overindulging on tequila and even some surprisingly good Mexican wine, we all felt horrible when we returned home - the old adage, "You are what you eat," really rang true for us. Since then, my boyfriend and I have been upping our intake of fruits and veggies; buying organic, grass-fed meats; limiting our alcohol; and staying away from dairy and heaven-for-bid any processed foods. It has truly made a world of difference in how I feel and look. (Now, let me also say...we LOVE to eat out, and hate to be "buzz-kills" at a restaurant with friends, so we stick to this "diet" within reason!) ;)


I also indulge in an occassional cupcake every now and then, and Babycakes Bakery here in NYC, lets me "indulge" guilt-free. I've blogged about this amazing bakery before but am mentioning it again as a great source of gluten-free baked goods. The entire bakery is vegan and most of their items are gluten-, soy-, and sugar-free. Jennifer, you might want to purchase their cookbook if you're feeling deprived of a cupcake, donut, or cinnamon roll (they use a lot of rice flour or a fava/garbanzo bean mix). Additionally, I am in love with Turtle Mountain's Purely Decadent coconut milk ice cream. It's sweetened with low-glycemic agave nectar, contains no dairy, and many of the flavors are also free of gluten as well as soy. It's also much lower in calories, carbs, and fat than the traditional pints. Even my ice-cream-loving boyfriend is a convert. (The cookie dough flavor is one of our faves!)

Of course, diet is only half the battle. To that end, I recently took up Physique 57 classes here in NYC. (You may have heard the name from Kelly Ripa; she's a long-time client.) I cannot say enough good things about these classes - they are without a doubt, my latest obsession! Using weights, a ballet barre, and a playground ball, clients are led through a brisk series of toning exercises and stretches. The goal: a long, lean, sexy body. So far, I'm sold...in only ten classes, I can see and feel my body responding. If you're in NYC, definitely try one of their classes. And for those outside New York, they now have a series of DVDs to work out at home. I guarantee results!

Happy Health Everyone!


No comments:

Powered by J. LaMore