designers departments
whats new capris dresses jackets jeans lingerie trousers shorts skirts sweaters t-shirts tops tops handbags jewelry boots pumps sandals sale
J. LaMore Magazine

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Not Your Typical Sunday

Okay girls...Its time for me to reveal what type of public relations I do in good ole Birmingham, AL. Its random, I know, but I think you all should know. I promote a statue named Vulcan. Vulcan is the Roman god of fire and forge and was created to represent Birmingham way back in 1904 at the St. Louis World’s Fair. Vulcan is now the centerpiece of a 10-acre park that houses a history museum and a premier special event facility. Vulcan is Birmingham’s icon…overlooks downtown…and can be seen from most major interstate arteries coming into town. Anyone confused? Anyone from St. Louis? Vulcan is to Bham as the Arch is to St. Louis. Amanda, you’ve been here…help me explain!


Anyways, I am in charge of promoting the park to schools for field trips, as an attraction to traveling tourists, as a premier special event venue to meeting and social planners and to the general public by planning recreational events. In an attempt to lure the hip, young professionals of Birmingham up to the park, I came up with a cool, musical event called Vulcan AfterTunes...An Afternoon of Cool Tunes, Fresh Brews and Sweet Views. We partnered with a local radio station – Reg’s Coffee House – to present a concert series on Sunday afternoons that highlights up and coming singer/songwriters. (Reg’s show is nationally syndicated – has anyone ever listened to it?)

Last Sunday was our first concert and featured Bobby Bare, Jr., son of famous country legend, Bobby Bare. They were unusual, but AWESOME! We have two more concerts to go… Anders Osborne from New Orleans on October 14th and Matt Pond PA from NY on the 28th.

So that’s how I will spend most of my Sunday’s in October. This weekend is my off weekend and I’m heading down to the beautiful white beaches of Seaside, FL. Can’t wait. Might be a little cool at night, so I plan to take my Twisted Heart jacket and pant. I know its not beachy, but who cares? Its so comfortable and will be perfect to lounge around in while listening to the waves crash…

No comments:

Powered by J. LaMore