designers departments
whats new capris dresses jackets jeans lingerie trousers shorts skirts sweaters t-shirts tops tops handbags jewelry boots pumps sandals sale
J. LaMore Magazine

Monday, July 06, 2009

What were you doing at 17?

Hi Friends: I don't write many blog's here on the 'friends' blog, although I've read every one of them over the years. I think I've written two of the more than 2,000 blogs written.

Here's one I think is worth reading and writing about.

About a month ago I read an article in ESPN magazine about a 16 year old kid named Zac Sunderland who set out from California to break the record of being the youngest person to sail around the world, ALONE! I don't even subscribe to this magazine but one day it somehow appeared in our mailbox and the story of Zac was on the cover.

The sub title of the story was "What were you doing at 17?" and after reading the article, I began following his journey around the world. I've always been interested in sailing and as a kid I crewed on a 20' C boat (flat bottom racer) which belonged to a friend's father and we would race it with the Mendota Yacht Club. It was great fun and I did this for two summers before graduating from high school. I learned a lot about sailing then so when I read this article, I was impressed to say the least.

While reading the article, I remembered getting caught in what seemed like a big a storm on Lake Mendota and can vividly remember the damage even small waves and wind can do to a boat as you try and secure it to a pier. When I read about the storms and high winds in the middle of the Indian Ocean that Zac went through, I don't think I'll mention my little storm experience right next to shore ever again.

Zac is sailing around the world in a 36 foot sailboat called the "Intrepid". That's not a very big boat, as you can see from the picture, and even if you don't know anything about sailing, what he's doing is absolutely amazing! The journey, so far, has taken Zac more then a year and he is scheduled to arrive home in Marina del Rey on or about July 14th. He's in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico now.

You can track this journey from his website and read his blogs just like I did and I promise, you will love it. It's completely incredible.

Jim (Jennifer LaMore's husband)

3 comments:

Friendship Poems said...

Very nice post.. thank you

Anonymous said...

Incredible story and a nice post. Good job!

Anonymous said...

This story was sent to me by a reader and I loved it. I will follow Zac until he finishes. Very nice post and well wriiten.

thanks.

sarah

Powered by J. LaMore