designers departments
whats new capris dresses jackets jeans lingerie trousers shorts skirts sweaters t-shirts tops tops handbags jewelry boots pumps sandals sale
J. LaMore Magazine

Thursday, December 21, 2006

NY Restaurants: A Few of My Favorites...

Hi Juliette - Eating out is one of my favorite things to do... In my five-plus years in NYC, I've become partial to a number of restaurants. I've listed below some of my "go-to" places, which are all fantastic. If there is something specific you want a recommendation for (e.g. good pizza, a champagne cocktail, a lunch spot after shopping, etc.), just let me know - I'd love to try to help. Below are some of my favorite places in a variety of locations, cuisines, and prices.

In no particular order...

Jewel Bako (East Village)
Great sushi! The restaurant is very quaint, and the owners are very attentive and charming. If you really want to indulge, I highly recommend the omakase (i.e. the tasting menu).

Pastis (Meatpacking District)
This place is always bustling, and a bit sceney. It's great for brunch or a late night meal. (I'm partial to the french fries.)

Esca (Theater District)
This is a great Italian restaurant with a huge focus on seafood. I go there often. (Don't bother going if you don't enjoy fish.) The fish is incredibly fresh, and the pastas are great too. The menu is extensive, but varied on a regular basis. If you're seeing any shows on Broadway or in the theater district, I would definitely put this place on your list for a meal before or after your show...

Bar Jamon (Gramercy area)
This is a TINY Spanish tapas bar/restaurant. Again, I can't stress enough - it's tiny - but it's cozy. It's the perfect place for a glass (or bottle) of wine and some great tapas. One of my favorite meals (for when I'm not terribly hungry) is a plate of Spanish cheeses, olives, and their tomato bread rubbed with garlic. Yum.

WD-50 (Lower East Side)
This place is very eclectic! The cuisine is described as American Nouvea. I happen to LOVE the place (and it has gotten fantastic reviews from the critics), but it's not for everyone. They always post a sample menu online, so check out their website to see if it's something that interests you before going. The cocktails here are also very inventive.

Cru (West Village) / Jean George (Central Park West) / Per Se (Time Warner Center)
These are my favorite high-end restaurants. Impeccable food and service! These are more expensive than the others I've listed, but they're worth the money if you're looking to have a long indulgent meal! (In addition to the main dining room, Cru also has a front room that you can walk into without a reservation.)

Pegu Club (Soho) / Little Branch (West Village)
These are two of my favorite places for cocktails with my boyfriend or a small group of friends. Both places tend to make very classic "old-school" drinks. Both places are more than willing to whip something up for you based on your preferences. Often I simply make requests such as "something w/champagne" or "something different but not sweet," and the results are always fantastic.

...I wanted to get these out to you yet today but didn't have time to create links for all of them. A great resource, however, is New York Magazine. I think they offer fair reviews of the restaurants and of course cover all of the new and noteworthy openings... (SORRY FOR TAKING UP SO MUCH SPACE HERE EVERYONE! I won't do it again!) :) If you try any great places while you're in NYC, I'd love to hear about your experiences. But again, feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Amanda in NY

Powered by J. LaMore