designers departments
whats new capris dresses jackets jeans lingerie trousers shorts skirts sweaters t-shirts tops tops handbags jewelry boots pumps sandals sale
J. LaMore Magazine

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Miracle Story

I just read a beautiful article in the Wisconsin State Journal. I had to share it with all my friends.
Karen Dennis was only 35 years old when she was diagnosed with carcinoid cancer. She was a young mother of three daughters and incredibly shaken by the news. For the next 10 years Karen fought hard to beat the cancer — undergoing three surgeries removing a third of her digestive anatomy with staggering post-operative complications. She endured 63 scans, chemotherapy and even traveled to the Netherlands to undergo an intensive radioactive treatment straight into her bloodstream. She tried traditional medicine, experimental medicine, alternative medicine.

Eight years ago Karen was told the cancer had metastasized, now in stage four, and she should get her things in order. She named guardians for her girls, got her finances in order, and planned her own funeral. Karen then spent the next four years planning to die.

In 2005 at a regular check-up with her doctor she explained to him that all of the tests and scans continually being done where extremely difficult mentally for her and her family. Would it be possible to just live, the best life possible without running all of these tests? What's the purpose of the tests when there is no cure? The doctor brilliantly agreed with her and literally wrote her a prescription that read, "You have my permission not to accept your diagnosis. You have my permission not to accept your prognosis. Go celebrate the miracles in your life." A life changing script.

"I realized that I had become completely and totally defined by my illness," Karen reflected. "I was able to redefine myself, and I think that’s when I began to heal." She continues on saying for the next two years she lived her life without additional medical care. Prompting from the Social Security Administration (because of disability payments), Karen was forced to go to the doctor to get a new scan to update her status. Sitting in the exam room, the same exam room where she had been told to get her things in order, the best news she was hoping for was that nothing has changed. Then the oncologist came in and told her "you are not a cancer patient anymore."

"I realized in that moment that whatever part of this miracle was influenced by me — and not luck or divine intervention — my getting well was a consequence of me once again inhabiting my body and trusting it. And I did that when I had exhausted every other option." She mentions in the article feeling elated and blessed, but also guilty. Wondering why she was the one chosen to beat the odds. And beating the odds indeed. Apparently, the odds of spontaneous remission of any stage four metastasized cancer are one in up to 100,000.

The article continues on to discuss how Karen is using her 13 year battle and victory with cancer to help other cancer patients. She is leading classes in Prairie du Sac an Lake Delton and is also writing a book titled, Stage Five. A book I will definitely purchase. I'm in awe of her courage and strength.

Be sure to read the full article, http://www.madison.com/wsj/topstories/445700. It warmed my heart and soul.

All my best to you Karen. You're truly an inspiration.

Jennifer

No comments:

Powered by J. LaMore