designers departments
whats new capris dresses jackets jeans lingerie trousers shorts skirts sweaters t-shirts tops tops handbags jewelry boots pumps sandals sale
J. LaMore Magazine

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Fashion


You know, I have always loved fashion. Ever since I was a little girl and then into my teenage years. I used to babysit a lot because my father wouldn't let me date, but at least I had money to buy clothes, which, of course, I had to change into, in the car, when my mother would take us to school. But, I had an interesting conversation with a co-worker the other day. By the way, my love of fashion has never ceased, and this conversation led me to really think about why I love clothing so much because, after all, it is only a materialistic obsession.....NOT.

So, my male co-worker just came up to me and told me that he didn't understand why I liked to dress up every day because it was a waste of my time since men don't really care what a woman is wearing. They basically just care what is underneath and just want to tear a woman's clothes off. Well, this was disturbing news to me, so I started asking many of my male friends on their thoughts on this view. It definitely varied.

One man who has been married for 25 years agreed with this theory and told me that women "only dress for other women". Another man, who is in his fifties, from L.A., completely disagreed, and said that maybe it was only a Wisconsin theory. I had no clearcut answer. I know that no one will ever change my opinion.

I am now 41 and have two children, and I have realized that I don't dress for the public or for my husband, who might not care, but for myself. Everyone has a vice or chooses to spend money on certain things, HD TVs, video games, etc. I love walking out of my house feeling good about myself, and that has a lot to do with how I dress myself. And I don't necessarily think that a woman needs to spend thousands of dollars; I could go to Goodwill and come out with a cute outfit. For me, I feel confident and beautiful and like a woman when I dress stylishly, and style is so subjective. I like my style. With all of the stresses in life such as kids, a job, etc., I get excited to pick out my outfit for the day and wear it confidently.

I remember when I had kids I told myself that I would not turn into a slob, since I stayed at home. I went out and bought a Juicy Couture velour sweat outfit, and my husband freaked that I spent $200 on a sweat outfit. Well, for me, personally, that outfit helped me stay confident as a new mother, not knowing what the hell she was doing, and I really believe it prevented me from developing post partum depression. I am not knocking PPD because I know that it is real, but I think that taking care of myself, including my baby, helped me from developing it.

So, just food for thought. I love studying designers and their train of thought as they create their new lines, and I really love creating a new look for myself.....for myself...and no one else.

Lila

No comments:

Powered by J. LaMore